Extensive performance measurement and research conducted by Success Profiles (involving over 500 healthcare organizations), has revealed that there are consistent cause and effect relationships between business practices, leadership capability and overall performance. The chart above illustrates just one of the examples with quartile differentiation and performance to budget
"Our employee survey process has improved significantly since we moved our business to HPS. They are more flexible and responsive than our previous providers, and the quality of their work is exceptional. The best part is that we accomplished all of this while dramatically lowering our costs." John Cecil, CHRO, Lee Memorial Health System, FL
The pressure to optimize the workforce, improve productivity, and deliver a higher net operating margin is a heavy burden on the shoulders of every top executive in the healthcare industry. Achieving success requires measurement…accurate and actionable measurement, together with the competency and discipline to use it in decision making.
At Healthcare Performance Solutions and Success Profiles we are experts in performance measurement and much more. Through our Business Practices Assessment (BPA) we help you uncover employee-related issues that really count. The BPA not only determines and quantifies employee feedback but also it establishes baseline performance measures and performs comparative analysis using our exclusive healthcare metrics. Much more than a traditional employee-survey instrument, the BPA measures a range of non-financial business practices known to differentiate low from high-performance healthcare organizations. Through extensive research and experience, we have found that these non-financial measurements are the most predictable indicators of future financial success.
To get the Business Practices Assessment Brochure (PDF) click here: Brochure
Why Choose Us for Your Employee Survey
In choosing Healthcare Performance Solutions (HPS) and Success Profiles, Inc. to help you conduct your employee survey, you leverage our strengths:
- Experience: Our expertise comes from helping hundreds of companies over 17 years (both large, Fortune 500 companies and smaller, privately held enterprises) accurately measure feedback from their employees and customers.
- Validity and Reliability: We ensure that employee feedback is statistically valid and reliable for comparison with future assessments
- State-of-the-Art Technology: We use some of the most advanced software, hardware, programming, and communication systems in the world to process information in any medium.
- Speed and Flexibility: Our turnaround time is the fastest in the industry with same day reporting if desired and all assessments are customized specifically to measure the common and unique business practices of your organization.
- Actionable Knowledge and Business Intelligence: We go beyond typical attitude and perception surveys by measuring business practices that drive performance. We also have unique reporting tools and multiple reporting options that graphically illustrate results in a way that motivates leaders to take action and makes feedback quick and easy for managers and employees to better understand.
- Comparative Analysis and Benchmarking: We have one of the most comprehensive Healthcare Databases for comparative analysis, percentile rankings and benchmarking of best practices (includes over 500 organizations and 34 different departments for peer comparisons). We also have high performing organizations that serve as “best practice” laboratories for formal benchmarking site visits.
- Action Planning and Performance Improvement: We have developed a step-by-step action planning process for managers to follow through on interpreting results, prioritizing improvements, sharing information and implementing solutions. We also have online tools for 24/7 access and a complete library of streaming video for educational purposes.
- Connection to Performance Management and Talent Management: The information from our assessment process can be incorporated into your performance management, talent management and succession planning process for more effective development of your high performing leaders.
- Cost Effectiveness: We take pride in the effectiveness and the efficiency of our internal processes. We continuously strive to make our services better without incurring additional costs for our clients. This allows you to…“Spend less money on compiling data and have more money available to make measurable improvements.”
Success Profiles will use its proven six-step process for conducting the Business Practices Assessment (employee survey). The appraisal provides both qualitative and quantitative feedback. The standard quantitative feedback comes from the 28+ items to which employees respond on a five-point agree/disagree scale. The qualitative feedback will be compiled from open “write-in” questions in the assessment. Whereas the quantitative feedback measures the organization’s performance on a given business practice, the qualitative feedback “triangulates” the employees’ perception for greater detail and accuracy.
- Step #1: Customize or modify the assessment instrument. Success Profiles has designed a three-part employee feedback assessment that measures and quantifies your organization’s progress and performance in several key business practice areas. Using our 28 core item feedback assessment as a foundation, we will work with you to ensure the assessment and associated instrument meets your needs, including customization, if necessary. The assessments usually contain 28 to 40 items depending upon the degree of customization requested. The survey items in the employee assessment cover the following business practice categories:
- Ownership, Responsibility & Teamwork
- Guiding Principles and Values
- Senior Leadership
- Management Competency
- Patient Focus
- Physician Leadership/Behavior
- Organizational Culture & Loyalty
- Human Resources & Organizational Development Capability
- Process Effectiveness
- Step #2: Conduct employee assessment. We recommend giving the survey to every employee in the organization. Although participation should be voluntary, our target is to receive feedback from up to 75% of your organization. While statistically reliable data is possible with a lower response rate, we have found that a response rate of at least 70% will provide greater accuracy at the individual department level and better enable long-term organizational change. To achieve a high response rate, it is important that your employees truly understand that their feedback is anonymous. As a professional third party, Success Profiles helps you deliver this guarantee with credibility.
- Step #3: Compile and analyze employee feedback. The quantitative data is compiled and analyzed very quickly, because our processes are highly automated. Electronic (online) and paper based surveys are compiled, scanned, and verified using our state-of-the-art computer hardware and software technology. Once the data has been compiled, it is ready to be converted into our user-friendly, graphical format. Qualitative feedback can be “distilled” into major themes and reports can be created for individual department, position or functional reports.
- Step #4: Develop assessment reports. At Success Profiles we strive to provide your organization with “actionable knowledge”, not just raw data. Providing actionable knowledge requires more than delivering statistically valid information. It requires communicating feedback in a manner that is easily understood and communicated throughout the organization. We pride ourselves on our ability to report detailed information to your organization in a powerful, straightforward format. Individual campus, department or unit reports will be created based upon a predetermined list of customized reports.
- Step #5: Present findings, recommendations, and next steps. Once the analysis and reports are complete, we will present the findings by phone to the executive team or he can visit your organization to present the overall findings (if you would prefer additional, optional consulting). This call will provide you with, in-depth explanations and implications of the key reports, providing guidance on where to focus resources to achieve best results and improve workforce optimization. Clients are encouraged to call with questions they may have about the measurement process. Hours are 8-5 MST, Monday through Friday. You’ll also have unlimited 24/7 email support. We have found that in order to keep momentum and to ensure that employees will continue to provide honest feedback in the future, it is imperative that your organization disseminates the uncensored findings in a “transparent” and timely manner. We believe that four to six weeks is the maximum time that should be allowed between the completion of the survey and reporting back to the employees. If you need additional assistance in reporting the findings to specific departments or conducting detailed action planning, we can assist with that process.
- Organization, Facility, and Departmental Report: Overall organizational scores facilitate straightforward comparisons between individual departments. This will help you determine which departments have the greatest need for improvement and coaching opportunities.
- Performance Management Eye Chart: A visual representation of how individual departments within the organization compare to one another based on manager/supervisor competency, employee satisfaction, loyalty, engagement and national benchmarking standards. This is an exclusive report not available anywhere else. Please note that each facility of your hospital system gets its own “Eye-Chart”.
- Longitudinal Report: Demonstrates how responses to each question have improved/declined over past annual and quarterly assessments, while also showing the national percentile rank your organization scored on each question.
- Percentile Report: Shows how your organization compares to national benchmarking standards on each survey question.
- High-Level Report/Driver Analysis: Discovers important correlations and reveals those questions that demonstrate the strongest influence on an employee’s satisfaction, loyalty to the organization, and engagement to the organization’s mission.
- Open Feedback Report: A compilation of all open feedback responses sorted by individual department, allowing you to identify positive/negative practices that are relative to specific departments that may not have been identified by the survey.
- Eye Chart Analysis
- Departmental Benchmarking
- Job Category/Position Benchmarking
- Open Feedback Analysis
- Other Customized Analysis
Question and Answers (Video Clips)